The climate crisis is the defining fight of our times
As a 200-year-old family-owned business, we think in generations, not quarters. We will not shy away from our environmental duty and are committed to reducing our climate footprint.
By publishing more sustainably and collaborating with our industry colleagues and partners across the supply chain, we aim to spread the joy of books and storytelling for generations to come. Here’s what we’re doing to turn the page on climate change…
At the start of 2021, Bonnier Books, including Bonnier Books UK, went beyond climate neutral – meaning that we compensate for 20% more greenhouse gas emissions than we create. We are achieving this in three ways:
We have signed up to the Science Based Target initiative (SBTi), implementing an emission reduction plan targeted toward limiting global warming to the IPCC’s 1.5°C targets. Our goals, and the methodology we’re following, have been validated against the SBTi’s rigorous criteria.
We are also a founder signatory of Publishing Declares, the industry’s first major collective declaration on climate action. And, as a member of the Independent Publishers Guild (IPG), we participate in the Sustainability Industry Forum (SIF).
Progress on paper
As we all know, paper has a considerable environmental cost and we recognise the importance of having a set of standalone commitments to mitigate its impacts.
- We updated our paper sourcing policy in 2020, to ensure that 100% of the paper we use to make our books comes responsible certified or sustainable sources:
- 100% of the paper used in the manufacture of our UK trade division books are FSC™ certified.
- 100% of Igloo Books’ papers are from Book Chain Project: Grade 3* sources
- Our bespoke internal Production Support Portal (PSP) allows our production team to select only the most eco-friendly paper choices and suppliers
- Our paper mill database provides granular data on individual paper grades and emission levels
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the sustainability team